Dinning table – central point of your house
The dining area in your home needs its central point. A table. But it can’t be just any table. It has to be the table. It will be the one that is well constructed, fits in your dining room, works for your budget and has a style you’ll like for many years to come.
Here are a few things to consider when you choose the best dining table for your home.
Every year, furniture manufacturers expand their offer and add trendy products that can attract your attention. However, according to Christophe Pourny, the author of “The Furniture Bible,” your table should be
simple and sturdy because a good table should last at least five to 10 years.
Interior design trends may change a lot within this period of time and your funky modern table may not look so good one day. What else should you consider when you buy a dining table? Read on for more tips on how to choose the best dining table for your home.
Choose the righ size – measure your dining area
A dining table is a large piece of furniture itself, but you also need to remember about the space around it. So the first rule of choosing is: your dining table has to fit your dining area. Make sure you have at least three feet of breathing room on all sides in order to comfortably sit in a chair and move around the space.
Step one: measure the length and width of the dining area which you can use for the dining table. Step two: subtract around six feet from these two measurements and you’ll get the right dining table length and width.
On top of that, think about how you’re planning to use the table. Bear in mind that each place at the table needs from 22 to 24 inches of space and that larger chairs require even more. It’s a good idea to imagine what your table will actually look like.
You can use painter’s tape to block out the length and width on the floor as well as the height of the table. You can stand on the tape corners with a tape measure, then try to fill in that space some furniture of a similar size (a few chairs), and take a step back to see how it feels.
Get someone to help to and stand there with the tape measure while you have a look. If you see that you don’t have enough space, look for such solutions as leaves which allow the table to extend. With leaves you can customize your table according to your needs.
Choose the base
Typically, the base consists of legs, a pedestal, or a trestle. The choice of the base can affect the number of people you can fit at a table. When you choose the base of your table, be sure the leg space isn’t invaded by the supports. When you select a table at a furniture store, sit at it to see if your legs hit the table’s legs. Move your knees around to check if you have enough space for them and if you can cross your legs under the table. The frame that holds up the tabletop can actually limit your space to move.
If you want to have a table with legs, pay attention to the leg width and where the legs are placed. It will be easier to add an extra chair if your table has thinner legs or the legs are at the corners.
When it comes to a pedestal or trestle table, you’ll be able to add more people to the table because of the center base. Hoewever, trestle tables offer you flexibility along the sides of the table, but can limit space at the ends of it.
Check how much space there is between the edge of the table and where the trestle supports are attached to make sure there’s enough room for your knees.
Choose the right shape
The most popular tables are square and rectangular. When you visit furniture stores you’ll soon see that there’s a great variety of styles, sizes and extendable options for these two shapes. A round or oval table, on the other hand, gives you more space to move around because there are no the corners.
With tight rectangular space, opt for an oval table. What’s more, since there is no head of the table in a round or oval one, this kind of table is good for parties and socializing.
Choose the right materials
You may find it challenging to choose the material for your dining table. The things you need to take into account are: your style, price and ease of care. Here are the most popular materials:
- Wood. It’s a classic. It lasts long and is easy to repair. Solid wood tables are often the most expensive ones. Remember that with heat and humidity wood can expand and contract and it can show scratches, but is quite easy to repair.
- Veneer/Wood-Look: An affordable alternative to solid wood. A thin layer of solid wood (or material printed to look like wood) is glued to a plywood or other core. Make sure you always look for good quality veneer. You can always ask the salesperson exactly what the table is made of. If they’re not sure, that’s a red flag for you.
- Glass: Glass tabletops options include clear, frosted or tinted glass. They can create a sense of openness in the room. Glass tables will not react with moisture but they can chip, scratch or crack from heat. Also, they show every fingerprint.
- Stone and Stone-Look: Stone tabletops can include marble, quartz composite or cast stone. Stone is durable but can be porous and absorb stains. These types of table tend to be quite heavy, too.
- Plastic and Laminates:This is the most an inexpensive option. These types of tables can last a long time, but the best quality. They are easy to clean and lighter, though.
- Metal: Because of its higher-shine, metal shows every fingerprint and can require special cleaning tools. What’s more, painted metals might be hard to repair.
A note on chairs
If you don’t have dining chairs, the most crucial thing is to check if the new ones fit at the table. If you’re in-store buyer, try out different models of chairs and feel free to mix and match.