The answer to the question of how to arrange a functional kitchen is not easy. However, it is worth knowing the tips for comfortable kitchen arrangement, because all the activities performed in it – cooking, washing, preparing preserves – can be lighter and give more joy when the space is properly planned.
1. Adjust the layout of the building to the shape and size of the kitchen
Kitchens can be arranged in various layouts. Think about which one best suits the shape of your kitchen and what are its pros and cons. It will be most advantageous if the road that we cover between the fridge, sink and stove, forms in a triangle.
In this kitchen, you can also use L-shaped buildings. Its shorter arm will be 120 cm. Of course, buildings of this type will look much better in a wider kitchen – nearly 260 cm (with a shorter arm 200 cm). The downside of this type of building are quite large distances between the equipment.
2. Let’s choose kitchen appliances for the needs of the family
- Fridge – its size should depend on the size of the family, the frequency of shopping, the type of preferred food and how many days we cook meals. If we rarely do large shopping or prepare meals to stock, we’ll need a large fridge. Greater capacity will be useful for people who like throwing parties.
- Hotplate – its width and number of burners should be adjusted to the number of pots that we simultaneously use.
- Oven – it’s hard to imagine a well-equipped kitchen without it. Even if you bake occasionally – don’t give up on it.
- Cooker hood – placed above the stove or hob should be wider than it. Most hoods can work in a closed circuit (as an absorber) or open (as an extractor). Open mode is more effective and efficient.
3. Take care of ergonomics in the kitchen
The level of countertops should be adjusted to the user’s height. To determine how optimal it is, measure the height from the bent elbow to the floor and subtract 15 cm. Recommended heights of kitchen countertops may vary considerably, e.g. for a 160 cm tall person, the worktop should be 90 cm above the floor, and for a 185 cm tall person – 105 cm. In addition, both tall and short people often work in one kitchen. Then there is nothing else to do but to look for a golden mean.
The functional organization of cabinets often determines whether the kitchen is comfortable or not. A good solution is to give up the shelves in the bottom cabinets. They require bending down, kneeling, it’s difficult to take out deeper things.
It’s worth choosing drawers with full extension and closing damping. The functions of individual drawers should also be determined in advance. This will allow you to choose dividers, refills, tags and other amenities for sorting content.